Monday, September 13, 2010

Update on my J-life.

I haven't written anything except for my column in so, so long. Only yesterday I penned this opinion piece about how advertisements in general and ads for the beauty sector in particular have a tremendous influence on an age group below the one they are targetted at. This influence is entirely negative to my way of thinking. For one, they construct images of an indeal form of beauty that simply cannot be acheived except with a team of chefs and dentists and dermatologists and chiropodists at your disposal. Secondly, it draws attention away from what adolescent girls are supposed to be doing, which remains in the twenty first century, acquiring an education. Mike liked it. He's going to put it in The Statesman pujo issue. It's going to be there in print, with my name, alongside pieces by veteran politicians and scientists and economists. I'm a few light years over the moon.
I am just now writing two very different kinds of pieces- one is an academic paper about Tagore and his education schemes, which I'm critiquing more than crticizing, and this is completely irrelevant to my journalistic life. The other is an imaginary interview with Coutere Rani Anamika Khanna, as part of an application to Vogue India as a fashion writer. I've already written a mini-autobiography about my style life thus far, and a comment on the tribal trend that's been a pet of international designers this last year. I'm trying to do it all as nicely as I can, but surprisingly, I found I like writing about "serious" issues somewhat better. I mean, I write because I love to, but surely it's more worthwhile if I write to make a difference, and not a difference on the level of rich women's appearances.
Also, a letter writing marathon event is on the planning stage, and I'm trying to involve as many people as I can. Here's a link to the project description-www.amnesty.ca/writeathon

No comments:

Post a Comment